Free Health Clinic at St George’s Church
St George’s was founded in 1864 – it was and remains the only Anglican church in Iraq. The present building was constructed in 1936 as a memorial to the soldiers of the British Empire who lost their lives in Mesopotamia during the First World War.
For part of its history, St George’s functioned as a church for expatriates, yet at present the congregation is entirely Iraqi. The Church stopped functioning after the first Gulf War but was reopened in 1998. As it had not been a functioning church for many years, the building had been totally looted – not a pew remained. Many of the windows had been broken, the organ was removed, and the only church fixture that remained was the solid marble font.
Following the 2003 invasion of Iraq, the church was mainly used for services by diplomats and the military. However, following the outbreak of the insurgency, the situation soon became too dangerous and military and political figures could no longer leave the Green Zone to enter the church. However, in the last decade there has been a steady increase in the number of Iraqis who come to the church.
Years later, we continue to fund a free, non-sectarian health clinic in the church grounds. To read more about the clinic please click here.